Friday, May 20, 2016

Stormy days

More than half the migraineurs in the world experience migraines that are triggered by barometric changes, or stormy weather. I am one of those. "Air pressure changes" are one of my major triggers. Flying in airplanes, oncoming storms, and thunder storms in progress all give me migraines.

As discussed in an earlier blog, this is a trigger that is in the unavoidable category, unless you move to a place that has calmer weather, and not everyone can do that. Storms happen. Barometric changes happen. It's called nature, and it's something we have to deal with.

Some migraineurs claim they can predict the weather better than the forecasters on T.V., when it comes to storms. That is very likely true. They feel a migraine lurking in the background just waiting to strike.

Personally, since it has been storming in my area off and on since the middle of April, I have been out of sorts and twitchy, just waiting for the next ramp up in pain. I don't remember this many storms in previous springs, maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I am just praying for summer to come. I seem to have fewer migraines in the summer, unless I get over heated, or it's stormy. I think summer is my relatively migraine free season. There are too many storms in spring and fall, and too many barometric fluctuations in winter. Which leaves summer as my best time, and I love being warm.

When you have chronic migraines, and deal with barometric changes as a major trigger, storms are the last thing you want to see lurking on the horizon. When you hear a newscaster say, "Storms on the way", part of your carefully fashioned "I'm ok" facade starts to crumble, and you begin to wonder, "is there a place that doesn't get storms? I need to move there."

We think these things to save our sanity, but we don't say them outright, unless we are past our limits. Most of us live where we do because of family, jobs, access to doctors, or a grab bag of other reasons. The stress of moving, packing, leaving the familiar, it may be too much for any migraineur to contemplate sometimes.

This blog wasn't supposed to be about moving, although that is what I have talked about excessively. The focus of this blog was supposed to be storms, but the two words that come to mind when I think about storms make for very short reading.

Storms suck!

Good luck to everyone who deals with storm triggers, and may your horizons be free of clouds.

"It's raining, it's pouring, now my pain levels are soaring. I am taking a med, going to bed, and hoping it's tolerable by morning" - Surviving Chronic Pain

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled on your blog, it's really great! Keep up the good work!

    Springtime is the worst for my storm migraines, but then the thunderstorms that roll in during the summer wreak plenty of havoc too. And the long stretches of cold cloudiness in winter are also pretty awful. Pretty much every season except fall sucks! I always tell my husband that we need to live in the dessert.

    I have a website about my migraines: migrainelife.net. Hoping to expand it into a blog similar to yours. It's great to be able to get the voices of chronic pain heard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments and for letting others know about what you go through too, there is a new page Monday-Friday, I post on Facebook and Google + when it is updated.

      Delete