In case you haven't read any of my other blogs, let me start off this way. Everyone's ability to tolerate migraine pain is different. Each person has their own definition of what they can and cannot handle. Please keep that in mind as you read this. Every person's "good" days are relative.
"Good" days for some migraineurs, is making it a whole day at work, for others it is just making it out of the bedroom. Every migraineur has their own ruler to measure their "good" day. They may not be able to verbally define what it is, some may not have had one recently, so they forget what a "good"day looks like to them. The blueprint for each migraineurs "good" day is locked up somewhere in their mind. We need to stop focusing on the bad days, and start looking for the "good" days.
I consider my "good" days, days when I can get out of bed in the morning and join my family in their daily activities. My "good" days happen when I can go grocery shopping, when I can do any kind of shopping. Too bad they don't happen more often. In the morning, if I can get up and make coffee without suffering stabbing migraine pain, it's a "good" day. Thanks to my still healing dalith's, most of my mornings are good. It is the afternoons that bring the pain. As long as I don't feel I have to mince my steps in order to keep my head on my shoulders, the day is "passable". The second I have to take small steps, or slide my feet so I don't jar my head, I know my "good" day is going downhill fast.
Even if I start with a "good" day, I know it is not likely to stay that way. Most days disintegrate from "good" to "passable" to "Holy bleep, who is trying to kill me now?" To make it worse, the deterioration usually happens with in hours, if not minutes.
Last summer, I was having a good day, so we went to our local roller coaster park. Bad idea, very bad idea. We got there around 11 am., and by one pm. my good day had become a "who is trying to kill me" kind of day. Between the screaming (mine), the jerky rides (my poor neck), and the noise and pressure of humanity, I was beginning to get a migraine of major proportions. Thankfully, I brought my medication (they were still working at the time) and they muted the migraine enough to allow me to have a great time with my family, without feeling like I was floating or falling asleep. That was the best day of last summer.
I wish that all of our days could be that way. The pain comes, the medicine kick the migraines butt, and we enjoy the rest of our day. I know it is a dream, but dreams are what gets us through this thing we call life. So, dream big. The memory, and sometimes just an idea of a "good" day, is what gets us through the "worst" days. We know the "bad" days cannot last forever, "good" days have to return sometime. I hope that the "good" days outweigh the "bad" for all who suffer from migraines.
"Every Day may not be Good, but there is Some Good in Every Day." -Quotes Valley.
No comments:
Post a Comment