Monday, May 16, 2016

Medicine

People who suffer from chronic migraines know about doing almost anything to get rid of the pain cycles we find ourselves in. Our most often turned to relief is the medication we are prescribed. I have three of those weekly pill organizers, one for the a.m., one for noon, and one for the p.m. I have medication I take in the morning; assorted vitamins and a muscle relaxer; medicine I take in the afternoon; another muscle relaxer; and medicine I take at night; an anti-depressant, and more muscle relaxers to help me sleep. This doesn't include the medicines in my "save me" bag, the rescue medication I take with me everywhere. In there I have two different triptans, an anti-nausea, Benadryl, and ibuprofen. My "save me" bag rattles so much my mom used to joke around and call me a walking pharmacy, until I finally told her how much that label hurt me, and she stopped. If I ever spend the night away from home I have to pack at least the a.m. and p.m. ones, if I am away longer, then I grab the noon too, just in case.

My neurologist has me on vitamins; such as, vitamin B12, D3, magnesium, and a multi-vitamin. These are supposed to correct vitamin deficiencies that I have (had?). I have been on them over a year. The rest of the medication I am taking during the day are my preventatives. Basically, they are supposed to prevent migraines from developing. In my case the have not worked yet. My "save me" bag contains my rescue medication. The medication I take to abort the migraine in its tracks.

The triptans were working quite well, until about a month ago. Now they are about as effective as a Tylenol, which all migrainers know doesn't come close to touching the pain.

That is just the medication I have at home, I have also gotten Botox, nerve blocks, and trigger point injection in my neurologist's office. If the pain is bad enough for me to go to the E.R. for relief, they give me an injection of a migraine cocktail that usually knocks the pain out of the park. However, on some occasions I have had to go back to the E.R. because the medication caused a rebound migraine.

The Botox and other shots I get in my neurologist's office also fall into the preventative category. The influx of medication at the point of pain is supposed to minimize the migraine. I haven't really felt any difference. The migraines still feel as frequent and as strong as before.

My personal advice, which I will be taking myself at my appointment next month, is to be totally honest with your doctors. Let them know if the medication has stopped working for you. They need to know so they can get you a different control or rescue medication. The doctor isn't with you every day. They do not know if the medicine doesn't work unless you tell them. This is your responsibility as a patient. If they don't listen to you, that is another issue, and one I will cover in my blog about doctors.

Just remember, be truthful about your pain, and your relief, your doctor cannot help you unless you are.

**This blog is not intended to be used as a substitute for medical advice**

"For once I just want to wake up and feel like I can win this battle, I want to open my eyes and feel like my day is going to be a success, not another day to face a battle where it's likely I will not only suffer, but lose. The odds are still against me. But I haven't given up yet, and I don't plan to any time soon. I have all the strength I can muster up, and enough hope to share with the world." - Shelby's life with lyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment