I remember when I was a new mom, how many things I had to have, just in case. Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, light blanket, bottles, formula, snacks, baby food, toys... The list goes on and on! There were times I could get away with half of it, but most days I needed my entire diaper bag.
Having to deal with migraines makes me feel like a new mom all over again. I have my "go bag" that I better not leave the house without. Medication, water, travel cup, snacks, sunglasses, phone, tablet, ear plugs; and if I am going to the doctor, then I have to bring my migraine folder. If I am spending the night somewhere, I have to grab my mouth guard and daily medication as well. I am always glancing through my bag before we leave the house, just to make sure I'm not forgetting something.
Medication, more specifically the acute medication that is supposed to stop a migraine in its tracks. I have two different triptans, Benadryl, ibuprofen, and some PMS medication. All in a little case that keeps them nice and orderly. The little bag is especially important to me, I can find anything I need with my eyes shut (as long as no one messes with it).
I take my travel cup everywhere, it can hold around 20 ounces of water. Before I leave the house I fill it up, if I run out while we are out of the house, then I get a bottle of water somewhere and refill it. I even made a carrier for it for when I do my walking.
Snacks, I carry these so I won't miss a meal, seeing as that causes migraines too. I do my best to keep them to healthy snacks, if only because chocolate melts when it gets too warm.
I don't think I have left my house without my sunglasses in over two years. My fiancé teases that he never gets to see my eyes anymore. I even keep them on when visiting other family member's houses. My sunglasses are polarized in order to "keep the fluorescent lights from reflecting into the eyes". They are not all that successful, I really want to take them to a car tint shop to get them darker.
Like most people, my phone goes everywhere with me, not only because I feel lost without it, but I have tracker apps on my phone. If I get hit with a migraine while I'm not at home, I can input details about what medication I took when. If I don't have the phone, then I am liable to forget what I took when.
My tablet is almost as glued to me as my phone is, for pretty much the same reason. I have different trackers on my tablet, and it also helps me remember important dates.
Ear plugs, these are necessary for many many reasons. Reducing the sound of sirens, loud music, or any other auditory irritant.
My migraine folder is where I keep my paper migraine log, along with EVERYTHING from my neurologist. It goes with me anytime I need to see the doctor, especially in the E.R. I also put all paperwork relating to my migraines in it, E.R. visit papers, medication list printouts, doctor visit summaries, all of it. (I am already on my second folder, and I probably need a third.)
The rest of the items, mouth guard, and daily medication, only come with me when I am leaving for an extended period, an overnight or longer. Otherwise, they are easily accessible at my home.
Most of my "go bag" can fit in my purse. The only issue is that I really don't like carrying a big purse. For some reason it doesn't bother me in winter, but by the time summer rolls around, it is too hot to carry a big heavy bag.
I cannot wait for the day when I am free of these encumbrances, when I can just shove my phone and wallet in my pocket and just go.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go, they merely determine where you start." - Nido Qubein
No comments:
Post a Comment