Everywhere we look there are screens, cell phones, e-readers, flat t.v.'s, tablets, and computers. Unfortunately there is something about these screens that play havoc with our migraines. It could be the brightness, the amount of blue light, or the wavelength of the light. Even the amount of time we spend in front of them could be a factor. A good day can turn into a bad day in the blink of an eye if we spend too much time in front of screens.
But we, as a society are extremely attached to our screens. Our smartphones go with us everywhere, they help us keep in touch with everyone. Even if we have a bad migraine day, we just pop our glasses on, and jump onto Facebook to let others know.
I'm no different. I spend way too much time on my screens. I love my e-reader (tablet). I just love reading, I always have, and with an app that turns my tablet into an e-reader, I can get books from the library without leaving my house (meaning I don't have to deal with the lights). I am ecstatic this app is available and free. However, I have also noticed that if I read too much, if I finish too many books in one day, I get stabbing pains behind my eyes. Part of me wants to say, "it's worth it", but the more realistic part of me says, "nothing is worth this amount of pain."
Flat screen t.v.s give off so much light and noise that sometimes I can't be in the same room as one. My fiancé is disabled, so he is home all day. I am fighting for my disability for migraines, so I am basically a hermit. There are moments the t.v. is just too much noise and light, and I just have to run away.
Tablets are wonderful, I am writing this blog in a notebook, then I will type it on my tablet, then with one finger, I can copy and paste it into my blog. Quick and easy. The game apps on my tablet also keep me occupied most of the time. I can use the Internet to find crochet patterns and "screen shot" them with a push of a button so I can come back and try them later.
As for computer screens, both the old boxy screens, and the new flat screens are bad for us. The "refresh rate" (or the rate at which the screen updated itself) on the old screens was absolutely painful to migraineurs. I remember walking into my call center job once, migraine free at the time, sitting at my little cubicle desk, taking one glance at the screen, and feeling like someone was repeatedly stabbing me in the head with ice picks. I could barely move. I was trying to see through tear filled slitted eyes, seeing double, trying to type a legible note to my supervisor stating there was no way I could work that day. Once back home I struggled with myself, but eventually I decided my health was more important than any job, and I quit the next day. The new screens behave like t.v. screens, they have the same issues. They are too bright, and the light they emit is the wrong wavelength for migraineurs.
The "blue light" produced by all these screens is adding to our migraines. There free apps to help reduce the amount of "blue light" coming from the screens. You can also buy some physical filters to use. Click on this LINK to find out more about the different kinds of filters, and how they can help you. Unfortunately there isn't a blue light filter for Apple products (unless you are willing to "jailbreak?" your item), but Google has a great one that works, it's called "Bluelight Filter" it mutes your whole phone, and is adjustable. The apps for Apple only work on web pages.
"My illness has shaped me, but it does not define me." - Inspirational Quotes Chronic Illness
No comments:
Post a Comment